THE marathon!

By far the hardest physical challenge I have attempted in my life!! It really pushed me to my limits - to the verge of breaking mentally - but I'm really glad I did it!! Totally worth the experience!

Official Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Stats:

DistanceTime
10K1:02:25
13.1m2:16:49
21M3:52:00
26.2M4:57:02


MeTotal
Div F 25-2910012019
Female35578392
Total851015750


26.2 miles - wow - that's a long long way :) Joel and Robert are true ROCK STARS for staying by my side the whole time. They wore the crazy hats and leis I had brought, they made sure every cheerleading squad knew it was my birthday, they let me walk when I wanted to, they kept me encouraged all day long!!! Thanks guys!!


This picture must have been taken early on - I was still smiling :) We managed to make it to the starting line with plenty of time to stand in line for the bathroom - drop off our gear bags - and relax in the corral before the race started at 6:30AM! The race started out great - lively bands (R got the first one to wish my Happy Birthday) - good crowds - I was feeling good. Even crossed my mind I might run the whole thing - that's an easy thought at mile 5 :) As the day continued - and the course included a 2 mile slanted incline highway ramp - amongst other hills :) - I realized I wouldn't be running the entire thing! I took my first bathroom break around mile 12 and from there started walking through every other water stop. I felt pretty good all day - no shin splints - not bad hip pain - no foot numbness (that I can remember). You get to a point where you're just tired - I could breathe fine - my body felt fine - I was just tired! Mentally you just make yourself keep going - this is where having the moral support is key!! And being stubborn! The course was had lots of up and down - but nothing too steep. I enjoy the hills - for some reason I can perservere up a hill - but have a really hard time pusing through the flat sections - they about killed me! My feet hurt from the pounding - around mile 25 I was afraid I'd broken both of them they hurt so bad... but I was sooo close!! Man did it feel good to start lengthening my stride as I could see the finish line in site. I knew my best friend Heather was in the crowd - but I was too focused on that finish line to look around :) Just knowing she was there was awesome!!!


There's nothing like running the last 100 yrds through the crowd that's 5 deep - everyone cheering - and crossing that finish line!!! It's what it's all about :) I'm on the verge of tears every single time!! The announcer called out our names as we crossed and commented on our great outfits!!!

The costumes were a hit!! What a great way to catch people's attn and get the crowd support. Through the race we became known as the 'party people'. Very fitting! Many groups were moving through the race course to catch their 'friends' multiple times. Well because of our outfits they remembered us and became our friends too. "There are the birthday people" - "Hey Party People!" It was fun. At the finish line one guy was like "hey I know you guys - woohoo". One group of runners sang the entire birthday song to me while running. Through downtown some guys from a second story window were screaming 'who's birthday' - 'Happy Birthday!!' and going crazy! Those are the fun memories. I think we've decided to continue being the 'party people' at future races!


The atmosphere, commraderie, and bonding of participants at these events never ceases to amaze me. Meeting people at the airport, at the expo, around town, during the race, flying home - you're instant friends. It's soo fun to be a part of! Can't wait for the Virgina Beach Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon!!

My unofficial clock spits - I missed a couple miles - And forgot to stop it at the finish line :) I think mile 21 was bathroom stop #2 - waiting in line - oh well :)

MileTime
1-220:42
310:15
49:28
59:54
69:40
710:08
810:16
910:15
1010:59
1111:36
1211:57
1310:05
1411:54
1511:06
1611:05
17-1824:12
1911:28
2015:25
2122:28
2213:28
2312:38
2412:53
2512:39
26.211:57??
PACE11:20

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top Villa M. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.