One Plane Golf Swing

I'm taking advantage of the Virginia Community College System this summer. I'm not sure exact numbers but we have am impressive CC system that's ranked pretty high nationally - I encourage you to take a look at the courses they offer to learn a new hobby, expand your business knowledge, or just take a course to explore a subject that interests you!

Last night was my first golf class. I was really impressed with the professor. Super nice guy who also teaches Philosophy and Old Testement plus he plays in about 10 tournaments professionally every year. Right away I had confidence in his knowledge of the game and people :)

Since I've only played golf here and there and had limited instruction in the past, I don't really have a 'swing' or 'grip' that's tried and true. I know all golf instructors teach things a little differently, so I went into last night ready to start from scratch and give Phil's swing a solid 5 weeks of practice and see how it works for me. Good thing because he's got a unique swing method!

Phil teaches the one plane golf swing. The easiest way to describe the difference from the traditional swing is how your arms sit when you set up to the ball. In the traditional swing your arms arm bent at the elbow creating a wide V with arms and club (2 planes) - in the one plane method your arms and the club are in a straight line. Of course it felt very awkward at first! You also stand with a much wider stance - which I tend to do anyways. Another of his 'lessons' is that you 'throw' the ball. Your back arm acts just like you're throwing a ball into the course. This helps control the speed. A chip shot - you throw the ball with much less speed. This is a little harder for me to feel in my swing - but I'm working on it. This is his secret to hitting the ball straight.

As he walks from tee to tee during the class giving individual pointers - my set up was great - but the swing was still producing inconsisant shots and mostly slices! err! He changed my back swing so I stop with the club almost straight up (not over my back) and don't break my lead arm wrist. I could immediately tell the difference. Felt much smoother. I don't have to work so hard to bring the club back down plus it minimizes my chances of getting the swing off balance/course (and lifting my head/back). Hopefully with practice this will build my confidence in striking the ball (not whiffing!) and I'll start to swing faster!

Class was exciting!! I feel like I have a great start to my new 'swing'!! Now I just need to find time to hit the driving range and practice. While keeping these things in mind:
~ single plane
~ wide stance
~ stop in backswing before break lead wrist
~ lead foot stays flat on back swing
~ throw the ball
~ keep eye on ball - watch club hit it

Hopefully I'll go from hating my irons to loving them!!

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top Villa M. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.