First week in August means it's bluegrass time in Galax. If you've never experienced the Old Fiddler's Convention you are missing out! A group of us headed down on Monday night to watch the youth competition. I've been before with my friend J, but only on Sat nights during the band competition - and we usually end up spending most of our time on the baseball fields back where all the campers are - I refer to this as her 'high school reunion'. So I was excited to see all the cute kids. We were not disappointed.
The videos pictures aren't great, but you can hear the music - and that's the important part!
Some of the kids are beginners - but they are all adorable and very brave to get up on stage to perform. A couple kids are surprisingly talented!! Even some young ones :) Here are some on my favorites.
Young Girl - She's just sooooo cute!!
Girl w Bored Boy - A lot of the kids had guitar (or other instrument) back-up, usually an adult but sometimes another fellow aspiring musician :) This looked like a brother and sister pair. He was waving when he came out and real animated, then while playing looked bored out of his mind!! Until the end when she picked up the speed. CUTE CUTE CUTE!
Twin Fiddle - Didn't realize there had been a set of twins until we saw them walking around together carrying their miniature instruments :) I just happen to have recorded both of them.
Twin Mandolin - I wish I'd gotten more of him on video. He paused a lot as he was playing to find the right notes.... so cute!!! They can't be more then 5 or 6. At one point he paused a second too long and everyone started clapping... not really sure if he was finished yet :)
Surfer Madolin - This little kid looked like he came straight from the beach. Maybe the next Jack Johnson??
Fiddle Girl - Like I said - some wowed us with their talent. She was pretty good. Plus this video shows a crowd shot, and you can hear the crowd feedback. If I were a judge I'd give bonus points if you got the crowd clapping :)
Rockin Banjo - This little guy had the most stage personality. A lot of the kids just stood up there and played the song - most didn't even bow or say thanks when they left the stage. This guy was getting down and having a good ole time :)
Aside from the great music, I had the best chicken on a stick and strawberry lemonade ever!! mmm mmm good :)
If you're looking for something to do this Friday or Saturday night I'd definately head down to Galax!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment