Rain & Hail & Lightning, oh my.

Early evening had been hinting at big storms. While I was reading in the hammock I could hear the thunder off in the distance, then light sprinkles finally sent me up to read on the porch. They didn't last long and things calmed down for a couple hours.

Triple M's made our night by arriving with coconut jelly cookies :) Yum. We were catching up around our new 'gathering' table when the thunder returned - much closer. They realized they were 10 minutes too late starting their walk home :) Then came the rain - heavy rain. And the hail. Which was pretty crazy and darn exciting to watch! I haven't seen a good hail storm since I was a kid! I couldn't get great pictures because it was pretty dark and gloomy, but you can see the amount of decent size hail we received.


The hailed died down, then the rain, and Triple M's headed down the hill. We retreated to the couch for movie watching and book reading. The storm picked back up again with steady thunder and lightning. At one point Todd startles and says 'What was that?' Of course me engrossed in my book didn't notice anything. We went and looked out the front door - it was really dark now and we couldn't see anything! Oh well - back to the couch. Right before bed I went to make sure my car was locked. I noticed a funny shadow at the bottom of the driveway and called T, 'Honey, you better come check this out.' It was apparent the sound he heard involved the tree at the bottom of the driveway.

This is the view we woke up to this morning. (It was still really hazy/foggy out - so the pictures aren't great)

Close-up you can see the culprit was lightning. The tree is burned all up the sides, not just at the spot of the split. (You can see the fence is unharmed)

The view out.

The view looking in. You can really see the gap in the shape of the tree from this view.

Here's a picture taken a week ago. You can see the tree in it's full glory in the background.

Hopefully the main part of the tree is still structurally sound, so we can just clean up the mess and be done. Our wonderful neighbor stopped by on his way to work today to drop off his chainsaw and offer to help tonight after work.

In the meantime Todd took his jeep off-roading through the yard and down the hill so we could get to work! :)

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top Villa M. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.