Last night was the 'hat tournament' for the blacksburg summer league. Meaning everyone shows up and they randomly split us into teams. This gives the captain's a chance to watch everyone play. Following the 3 hours of ultimate was the official team draft! I'll admit I was a little intimidated about the league seeing as I have minimal experience. Last night was a ton of fun though, and I am really looking forward to improving my game this summer and having lots of fun! First thing I learned is the field we play on at work is not exactly regulation size... actually it's about half the size it should be. So my first run up and down the field just proved I'm not really in that good of shape. It'll be a great sprinting workout :) I also started learning the lingo. PULL - basically the kick off. It's just a throw.. but with a special name :) LAST MAN BACK - after a score.. if you don't hussle back to your line you'll be subbed out. HOLD THE LINE - when you are waiting to receive the pull.. don't move around so they can mark up by your number in line. FORCE - defense strategy.. basically force the player to throw a certain direction. STACK - offense strategy... you line up down the center of the field.. the start making cuts. There are many startegies to this game I have to learn! Then the types of throws.. backhand, forehand, hammer throw... those are the only names I know.. and I only have a backhand right now! M and I went to RiverMill afterwards to hang out with some of the people... it was fun! This will help our getting to know more people in the burg plan :) We also found out we were drafted onto the same team! I think I will be looking forward to every thursday night at 6 :) Everyone was super nice and they have a great attitude about teaching us newbies the ins and outs of the game. Their goal that everyone in the world becomes and ULTIMATE fanatic. They might have a chance with me :) Don't know what kept me away from the game for so long??
On a side note. M runs her first 5K in the AM :) She's going to rock it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment