HASH

As I was reading the latest edition of Blue Ridge Outdoors last night I ran across an article that instantly made me think of J and R. Unfortunately it's not posted on the web so you'll have to pick up your own copy of the magazine to read the whole article, here's the basics though.

HASH
byline: Follow in the inebriated footsteps of foul-mouthed runners chasing a 'hare' through the woods

"It's Sunday, and a mix of a dozen Charlottesville twenty- and thirty- somethings are exactly where their mothers want them to be -- church. Actually they're just in the parking lot of a Baptist house if worship, getting ready for their weekly run by pretending to stretch. At first glance, the Charlottesvilly Hash House Harriers seem like an average jogging clan. But suddenly a spunky browned-haired woman cracks a can of Natural Light and says, "It's time to get started!""

"Every hash pack from Charlotte to Bangkok carries the ubiquitous nickname, "A drinking group with a running problem.""

"The focus here is not fitness. This is about having fun. The laid-back, short-distance running is always spiced up with booze and the thrill of the hunt"

So these comments might give it a negative spin.. but I'm too lazy to type more.. the article is great and covers the history of Hashing.. the fraternityness of it.. etc. Apparently there are groups worldwide. It's interesting. You should read it :)
(The Charlotte group has a nice description of hashing on their site)

Other local (kinda) hashing groups:
Washington D.C. Hashes
Richmond Hash House Harriers
Lynchburg-Seven Hills Hash House Harriers
Southern Comfort Hash House Harriers (Atlanta)

I just started reading this Magazine this summer and have been very impressed. It does a good job covering the range of outdoor activites and events through-out WV, VA, NC, and GA. I'm learning all sorts of stuff :)

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top Villa M. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.